Moody Bible Institute – Rome Extension
June 6 – 10, 2019
Join Moody Bible Institute on a journey through the city whose Christian citizens planted and nourished the seed of faith while persecuted and often martyred. In Paul’s letter to the Romans, he praised the early Christian community in Rome “whose faith [was] reported all over the world,” for its generosity, steadfast leadership, and spiritual strength. Come explore Rome’s rich cultural heritage which reveals pagan influence, contributions of the early Christians, and the creation of the famous Catholic city-state.
- Stand in the magnificent Coliseum, the symbol of the Eternal City
- See the Mamertine Prison, where Apostles Paul and Peter were imprisoned before their deaths
- Enter the Catacombs where early Christians worshiped in secret
- Visit the Vatican and discover the art, history, and religion of the smallest state in the world
Dr. Jim Coakley
Host of The Land and the Book
Thursday, June 6, 2019
Free Day in Jerusalem
Friday, June 7, 2019 – Saturday, June 8, 2019
Sites You Will Visit
- St. Paul's Gate - (Porta San Paolo in Italian) one of the southern gates in the 3rd-century Aurelian Walls, and the exit of Rome that led to the Basilica of St. Paul
- Old Appian Way - constructed in 312 BC, this road was used to transport Roman military throughout the country
- Catacombs - curious underground caves where early Christians worshipped in secret and buried their dead
- Tres Fontane Abbey - the site of Paul's martrydom
- St. Clemente Basilica - the foundation of a Roman home from the 1st century lies beneath the basilica and housed an early church Basilica of St. Peter - the most majestic structure and largest church in the world
- Piazza Navona - one of Rome's most famous piazze built on the original site of the Stadium of Domitian
- Pantheon - a former Roman temple, now a church
- Spanish Steps - the monumental stairway of 135 steps
- Trevi Fountain - the largest Baroque fountain in Rome and one of the most famous fountains in the world
- Vatican City (evening private tour pending) - the small, independent state where we will see the exceptional collection of artwork from every era. We will admire the fascinating Candelabra Gallery, the Gallery of Tapestries, the Rooms of Raphael, and finally the inspiring Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo's masterpieces, such as the extraordinary frescoed ceiling and The Last Judgment.
Sunday, June 9, 2019 - Ancient Rome
Sites You Will Visit
- Coliseum - the largest amphitheater ever built and the symbol of the Eternal City
- Circus Maximus - situated in the valley between the Aventine and Palatine hills and was the first and largest stadium in ancient Rome
- Palatine Hill - the largest hill overlooking the city and according to Roman mythology, the birthplace of the city's founders, Romulus and Remus
- Mamertine Prison - where apostles Paul and Peter were imprisoned before their deaths
- Roman Forum - the site of triumphal processions and elections; the venue for public speeches, criminal trials, and gladiatorial matches; and the nucleus of commercial affairs
- Trajan's Market - a complex of ruins that presents a living model of life in the Roman capital and insights about Ancient Roman architecture
- Arch of Triumph (Constantine) - the largest Roman triumphal arch
- Free Afternoon - spend time exploring local Roman markets, wandering around the city streets, or enjoying a gelato at a city cafe
Monday, June 10, 2019
With heart-changing memories of our walk in the footsteps of Paul, we arrive back home. May we never be the same!
***Itinerary is subject to change. To best serve the group, the schedule may be altered or substitutions made at the discretion of your tour leader and guide.
Tour Cost: $2,990 per person (double occupancy)
Single Occupancy: $640 additional
Deposit: $200 per person, due with registration
Balance due by March 12, 2019
*Your payment will be automatically processed following the payment schedule above. If your payment date falls on a weekend or holiday, your payment will be processed on the following business day.
To view cancellation policy and other important information, please go to the Terms and Conditions.
- Air Transportation - One-way economy class ticket provided from Tel Aviv (TLV) to Rome (FCO). A limited number of seats will be confirmed. Participants will be given these seats on a first-come, first-serve basis. Airfare used is based on non-upgradeable economy class effective at date of publication. Airfares and airlines are subject to change should more seats be needed than allocated.
- Airport/Hotel Transfers - Transportation between Rome's international airport (FCO) and the tour's hotel is included in the tour cost and will be arranged by Morning Star Tours.
- Hotels - Deluxe accommodations included.
- Meals - All breakfasts, one lunch, and two dinners included.
- Gratuities - All necessary tips included.
- Entrance Fees - All required fees included.
- Headsets - You will be able to hear the guide and leader speak clearly from a distance and in noisy areas through the high-quality headsets provided to each guest.
- Personal Pre-Trip Preparation Materials - Special materials provided to prepare physically, mentally, and spiritually for your adventure ahead.
- 24-Hour Concierge - Our in-country representative will be available to assist you and your group with any needs while on the ground.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I arrive into Rome for the extension?
- The one-way airline ticket from Tel Aviv – Rome is included in your extension tour package.
- If you are on the main tour only, information on arrival into Tel Aviv can be found here.
When should I depart from Rome after the extension?
- Please plan to depart from Rome (FCO) on Monday, June 10, 2019.
Can Morning Star Tours help me with my flights?
- Yes! We are pleased to assist with flight arrangements arriving into Tel Aviv and departing from Rome if you are taking part of the extension! Please contact Abby Spencer, Tour Manager, at Abby@MorningStarTours.com.
If I am flying with the group flight from Tel Aviv to Rome, can I upgrade my ticket or confirm specific seats on my flights?
- Unfortunately, the airline's group contract does not permit upgrades or allow MST to guarantee seat choices in advance. Please see information for making own flight arrangements. MST is pleased to assist with these arrangements upon request.
What is the baggage allowance?
- You are allowed one checked bag and one carry-on. Please note that hotels in Europe are smaller than hotel rooms in the United States. The rule of thumb from experienced travelers is to pack lightly. Baggage restrictions often vary by airline. It is important to refer to the airline's international baggage regulations prior to packing, as these can change without notice.
What are our accommodations?
- Dan Jerusalem Hotel – Jerusalem – 1 Night
- Hotel Savoy - Rome - 3 Nights
- *Hotel is subject to change without notice
What is the payment schedule for the extension?
- Deposit: $200 per person, due with registration
- Balance due by March 12, 2019
- If your payment date falls on a weekend or holiday, your payment will be processed on the following business day.
What are the Cancellation Policies for the extension and main tour?
- To review the Cancellation Policy for the extension, please go to the Terms and Conditions. For information on the Cancellation Policy on the main tour, please go to the Terms and Conditions.
Are all gratuities included?
- Yes! A generous tip to guides, drivers, hotel staff, and those serving you at applicable sites is included in your tour cost. We pray that this provision is a blessing and a testimony to those who serve you.
What out-of-pocket expenses should I expect on the extension?
- Please plan to bring spending money for meals not specifically included, snacks, and personal expenses such as souvenirs, laundry, or room service.
How much walking will we be doing?
- There will be a significant amount of walking during the Rome extension. Walking is done in small increments throughout the day. To prepare yourself, start walking a little each day. We recommend properly “breaking in” any shoes you plan to wear while touring.
2019 registration page for Rome Extension: